Product Manager, Flowminder
Flowminder is a fully project-funded not-for-profit organisation that enables decision-makers to access the data they need to transform the lives of vulnerable populations. We’ve had great success primarily with a service-focused model and are ready to extend our impact with the addition of a product-focused model. The key to this transition is hiring our first in-house product manager.
About the project
The OPAL program (for Open Algorithms) — originally developed by a group of partners from the MIT Media Lab, Imperial College London, Orange Group, Telefonica Group, the World Economic Forum, and Data-Pop Alliance — uses Mobile Network Operator (MNO) data for public good purposes while preserving the end-user’s privacy. Use cases for these data include supporting disaster response resource allocation, improving disease spread models, and planning public infrastructure work.
The Flowminder Foundation’s objective with the OPAL program is to open access to such data at an affordable cost while fostering civil society’s inclusion and inputs on the kinds and uses of analyses performed on these data.
Flowminder will implement the OPAL program in collaboration with the MNOs Digicel in Haiti and Orange-Sonatel in Senegal. The activities will focus on developing and operationalising the technology, supporting the set-up of national committees with representatives from the civil society, developing the collaboration with the MNOs that ensure their long-term commitment, and supporting pilot use cases and capacity strengthening in both countries.
About the role
As the first dedicated Product Manager at Flowminder, you’ll build products that help decision-makers in low- and middle-income countries use data to improve their populations’ wellbeing.
Externally, you’ll work deeply with governmental agencies, INGOs, NGOs, and MNOs. Internally, you’ll work closely with business leaders to integrate product management best practices into the organisation’s processes and communication structure. You’ll also partner with our engineering team to develop implementable product specifications. Ultimately, you’ll provide the necessary product management leadership that will enable Flowminder to succeed at a critical time in our organisational development.
Your primary responsibilities will fall within these three categories:
Customer and market discovery
- Engage with the main stakeholder groups for the FlowKit and OPAL platforms to understand stakeholder requirements. The stakeholders include:
- MNOs and mobile data providers;
- End-users, including:
Product strategy & development
- internal and external users directly working with the platform;
- external users who interface via an API / UI;
- external users of data products who have limited interaction with the platform.
- Research new stakeholders, understand the demand for the products and identify potential consumers
- Stay up-to-date with industry competitors and competition product developments
- Work closely with Flowminder’s engineering team to understand the constraints on what is possible.
- Gather customer feedback to determine ways that we could improve the product
Business development and marketing
- Set the long term vision and business strategy for Flowminder’s products
- Communicate this strategy to all of the relevant participants and stakeholders.
- Develop and own the product specifications and drive the development process
- Partner with the Engineering team to manage product development
- Work with the Project Manager to develop a budget for product development and marketing efforts
- Oversee the development of marketing campaigns and advertising strategies (working with the Communications Manager)
- Develop the business model(s) for the Product
- Prepares regular reports about product revenue predictions and results
- Discusses the Product with members of the press
- Promote the Products at conferences and events
- Meet with third parties to create strategic partnerships and pursue new business opportunities
- Demonstrate the products to customers
- You have at least 2-5 years of product management experience across the entire product development lifecycle.
- You are a fantastic listener and communicator who loves performing deep customer discovery.
- You are fluent in both English and French. English is used inside of Flowminder and with many of our partners. French is used with many of our in-country partners, primarily in Senegal & Haiti.
- You are a self-starter who has a diverse product management toolkit that you can’t wait to deploy.
- You feel equally comfortable conducting formal discussions with a governmental agency’s representatives as you are discussing technical issues with our engineering team.
- You excel in an environment that is direct, collaborative, and mission-driven.
- You are excited about the opportunity to have a voice in decisions that are outside of your product management purview.
- Stockholm / UK (South East) / Geneva
: Depending on experience relevant to the role, offers up to (figures per annum):
- Stockholm based: 626,235 SEK
- UK based: 59,415.00 GBP
- GVA based: 87,690 CHF
Must have the right to work in:
Sweden, the UK, or Switzerland
Applicants should select the apply button and including the following (preferably in pdf format):
- A brief expression of interest outlining why you are interested in being part of the work
- CV(s) (2 pages) with details of relevant experience
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.