Functional Skills and Employability Tutor
- Job Reference: HKYJX2603/PK
- Date Posted: 15 February 2021
- Recruiter: Ashley Community Housing
- Location: Birmingham
- Salary: £19,000 to £22,000
- Sector: Education - Development Officer
- Job Type: Contract
- Duration: Six month contract
Functional Skills and Employability Tutor
Birmingham, West Midlands
ACH is a social enterprise that provides a range of integration and support services for refugees. During the past ten years, we’ve grown from a small-scale housing organisation to a leading provider of integration, employment and housing services for refugees and newly arrived communities in the UK.
Through our training subsidiary, Himilo Training, we are successfully expanding our services to deliver training, development and employment opportunities to the broader communities in which we operate. Building upon our award-winning #RethinkingRefugee campaign, we aim to progress 25,000 individuals towards median-salary employment over 10 years.
To support our goals, we’re looking for a Functional Skills and Employability Tutor to join us on a six month contract that has the potential to lead to a permanent position. This is a part-time role, working 24 hours per week.
- Salary of £19,000 - £22,000 pro rata
- Mobile phone and laptop
- Paid company sick leave
- Company pension after probation period
- Claimable expenses for any work-related travel
This is a great opportunity for a qualified teaching professional to join an innovative organisation that helps people to realise their full potential.
For too long, narratives that promote division have dominated our headlines. Instead, we see refugees as people with talents, skills and aspirations. They are assets who can boost our economy and enrich our communities.
You will have the chance to make a positive impact on people from refugee and migrant backgrounds and give them the tools they need to achieve their professional and educational aspirations.
As a Functional Skills and Employability Tutor, you will deliver functional skills, employability and vocational courses, primarily as part of our traineeship programme.
Specifically, you’ll deliver up to Level 2 Maths, ICT and English lessons, as well as courses that will support our learners into employment.
Acting as a role model for our positive culture, you will plan, prepare, deliver and evaluate courses for learners, including creating learning materials for each session.
Your role will also involve:
- Providing specialist information, advice and support to learners
- Monitoring, marking and assessing learners’ work and progress
- Registering learners on the correct awarding body site and qualification title
- Maintaining learners’ records, including assessments records, plans and progress
- Supporting the Teaching Co-ordinator in the successful operational management of the curriculum
- Contacting your learners if they fail to attend
- Ensuring learner surveys are carried out and monitored
To join us as a Functional Skills and Employability Tutor, you’ll need:
- Previous experience within the Further Education and/or training sector
- Experience of delivering traineeships and teaching young adults
- A teaching qualification (Cert Ed or PGCE)
- Strong IT skills
- The ability to work on your own initiative and prioritise workloads
- Excellent communication skills
Arabic language skills would be beneficial to your application.
Other organisations may call this role Employment Skills Teacher, Career Skills Coach, Employment Skills Coach, Functional Skills Teacher, Functional Skills Trainer, FE Tutor, Trainer, Assessor, or Tutor.
The successful candidate will be required to pass an Enhanced DBS check.
ACH and Himilo Training are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Functional Skills and Employability Tutor, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.