If you want to provide support that makes a positive difference to the lives of children with disabilities and their families' and helps them have a better future, then this job could be perfect for you!
- Give emotional and practical help and advice to families that are having difficulties.
- Act as an advocate for the family at meetings and forums; assisting in benefit applications such as DLA and PIP; help to identify available funds and grants to enable the purchase of equipment, home adaptation and/or holiday breaks.
- Facilitate support groups, drop-ins and training sessions. The audience for these will extend from individual family members through to larger groups of parents.
- Deliver parent befriender training and facilitate ongoing 1:1 and group support sessions.
- Carry out research both internally and externally to discover existing services available to parents and identify potential gaps where new projects could be set up
Required skills and knowledge:
- A commitment to supporting people in difficultcircumstances.
- The ability to build good relationships with families.
- A good understanding of disability and carer’s issues.
- Good knowledge of welfare benefit system and community careservices.
- Knowledge of safeguarding policies and procedures.
- The ability to help parents develop the skills they need to ensure a good quality of life and wellbeing for all familymembers.
- Understanding, patience and good listeningskills.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- 30 hours per week
- £21,000 per annum pro rata
- Any offer of employment will be subject to an Enhanced DBS disclosure
How to apply:
Interested applicants should review the application pack at: https://www.friendsandfamilies.org.uk/get-involved/jobs/family-support-worker/
Reference ID: Family Support Worker
Application deadline: 07/05/2021
Expected start date: 14/06/2021
Interviews will be scheduled from 10th May and will be conducted by video call.
Tags: Advice, Information, Support Worker, Social Work, Social Care, Disability, SEND, SENCO, DLA, PIP, Advocacy, Information and advice, adviser.