Community Functional Skills Tutor
- Job Reference: ACAUN3012/PK
- Date Posted: 18 November 2020
- Recruiter: Ashley Community Housing
- Location: Bristol
- Salary: £21,000 to £24,000
- Sector: Fundraising - Community
- Job Type: Permanent
Community Functional Skills Tutor
ACH is a social enterprise that provides a range of integration and support services for refugees. During the past ten years, we’ve grown from a small-scale housing organisation to a leading provider of integration, employment and housing services for refugees and newly arrived communities in the UK.
We are a leader in social innovation. We tackle integration through a variety of projects and initiatives that benefit refugee and migrant communities. Our #rethinkingrefugee campaign is considered outstanding and reflects our commitment to making sure refugees become part of society, rather than remaining marginalised and under-employed.
Through our training subsidiary, Himilo Training, we are successfully expanding our services to deliver training, development and employment opportunities to the broader communities in which we operate.
We are now looking for a Community Functional Skills Tutor to join our team at Himilo Training and deliver a range of English, Maths and ICT courses.
- Salary of £21,000 - £24,000 per annum
- Mobile phone and laptop
- Paid company sick leave
- Company pension after probation period
This is the ideal opportunity for a further education or training professional to advance their career and take on new challenges that will support migrants to gain the skills required to integrate effectively into UK society.
You will enable people who have come to the UK to gain vital skills in English, maths and information technology, supporting them to gain recognised qualifications that will help them into employment and enrich their lives.
So, if you are eager to make a difference and can deliver incredible learning experiences to a wide range of people from all around the world, this is the role you’ve been waiting for.
As a Community Functional Skills Tutor, you will be tasked with delivering functional skills courses at Entry Level up to Level 2 in English, Maths and ICT for the City of Bristol sub-contracts and SSU.
Planning, preparing, delivering and evaluating courses, you will provide specialist information, advice and support to learners, create learning aims and monitor, mark and assess learners’ work and progress.
Your role will also involve:
- Registering learners with awarding bodies sites and claim certifications once the course is completed
- Completing daily session plans and uploading these to our Atlas system
- Maintaining learners’ records, initial assessments and learning agreements and all associated information
- Embedding Equality & Diversity, values and an element of functional skills into every lesson
- Ensuring continuing professional/curriculum development (CPD) and participating in training
- Maintaining Ofsted quality
- Attending team meetings
- Supporting the Teaching Co-ordinator in the successful operational management of the curriculum
- Contacting learners who fail to attend
- Ensuring learner surveys are carried out and monitored
To be considered as a Community Functional Skills Tutor, you will need:
- At least two years’ experience within FE and/or training sector
- Proven experience of developing and contributing to successful partnerships in the public, private and/or voluntary sector (at project lead level or above)
- Knowledge of FE and other employment intervention programmes including their background and operation
- Practical ICT knowledge and experience including use of funder-specific CRM systems
- To be qualified to Level 3 or have demonstrable equivalent experience
- A teaching and/or assessing qualification
- At a minimum, to be educated to A-Level or NVQ Level 3 or equivalent with Maths and English GCSEs at grade C, NVQ Level 2 or equivalent
Knowledge and an understanding of the personal, societal and systemic barriers to integration faced by refugees and forced migrants would be beneficial to your application. The ability to plan and manage the workload of team members would also be advantageous, as would fluent Arabic language skills (in addition to fluency in English).
An Information Advice & Guidance qualification at Level 4 or commitment to work towards this would also be desirable, as would a full, clean driving licence and access to your own vehicle that is suitable for business use.
Other organisations may call this role Functional Skills Tutor, Further Education Tutor, FE Tutor, English Functional Skills Tutor, Maths Functional Skills Tutor, ICT Functional Skills Tutor, or Course Tutor.
Webrecruit, ACH and Himilo Training are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Community Functional Skills Tutor, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Please note, successful candidates will be required to complete a DBS check.