Chef / Assistant Catering Manager
York Gate Garden, Leeds, West Yorkshire
Do you have a strong background in the food service industry? Want to enhance your leadership skills and support the success of one of the UK’s most beautiful and tranquil attractions? If so, read on.
Perennial is the nation's only charity dedicated to helping people in horticulture. Together with our network of partners, we provide free support, information, advice, financial assistance and services for horticulturalists and their loved ones experiencing illness, disability, bereavement, family breakdown and financial difficulties.
York Gate Garden is a vibrant, beautiful Art and Crafts garden, café, plant nursery and shop in Adel (Leeds). Due to an expansion, which was completed in early 2020, we are now open all week long and are welcoming more and more visitors every day.
We’re currently looking for a Chef / Assistant Catering Manager to join our team on a full-time basis.
- Salary of up to £20,000 per annum DOE
- 25 days’ holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays
- DIS benefit
- Sickness pay
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Well-established family friendly policies, including the ability to have extra unpaid leave
- Time off for dependants
This is an amazing opportunity to use your passion for cooking to help shape and grow our catering offering and contribute to their overall visitor experience.
By making a success of the garden, you will also be helping to raise vital funds for our charity, which supports horticultural professionals who are facing challenges such as low income, job insecurity or injuries that may prevent them from working.
As the Chef / Assistant Catering Manager, you will support the smooth running of our café in York Gate Garden.
Both visitors and volunteers are a vital part of what we do, and you will support the charity’s success by delivering delicious dishes to visitors and helping volunteers to make the best use of their experience and talents.
Specifically, you will:
- Lead on food preparation and ensure food hygiene standards are adhered to
- Effectively co-ordinate members of the café team (including volunteers)
- Provide a welcoming environment to all customers
- Ensure that all kitchen and customer-facing areas are kept clean and tidy
- Carry out basic finance tasks
To join us as a Chef / Assistant Catering Manager, you will need:
- Previous experience in the food service industry, including food preparation, ordering, menu planning, budgeting and stock control
- Customer service experience
- Food preparation, cooking and presentation skills
- Good up-to-date knowledge of food hygiene and allergens
- Familiarity with Food Standards Agency requirements
- Knowledge of First Aid in the Workplace and COVID-19 government guidelines
Ideally, you will also have experience of managing staff and/or volunteers. Previous barista training would also be an advantage.
Other organisations may call this role Catering Supervisor, Assistant Café Manager, Catering Team Leader, Assistant Kitchen Manager, Line Cook, Assistant Catering Services Manager, or Cook.
Interviews are scheduled to be held on the 20th April 2021.
Webrecruit and Perennial are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Chef / Assistant Catering Manager, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 37.5 hours per week over five days on a rota basis, including weekends and Bank Holidays