Emmaus St Albans: Business Development/Project Manager
Emmaus St Albans including satellite shop locations
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Selected teams of staff, companions and volunteers
Flexible (can be part-time) but working within standard office hours Monday to Saturday 8.00am – 6.00pm
Overall Purpose of the Job
This is a key role in the leadership team and will take a proactive lead in developing and achieving our strategic business goals, by maximising income generation and contributing to the development and sustainability of the Community as a whole.
- The optimisation of all existing income streams to include assessment and integration, and initial management of appropriate new technologies to increase efficiency, expand market reach and improve the management of all related aspects of Emmaus Herts.
- Development of new income streams to achieve their full potential, including diversification of existing retail and other social enterprise activity and any other new initiatives as appropriate.
- Develop (in partnership where appropriate) a range of events and promotional activities, including fund-raising, Companion activities, and networking events, ensuring successful management end-to-end.
- Assist and lead where necessary in Hill End site development projects, with the aim of optimising the use of the entire site and creating a key hub and destination.
- To be an integral part of the management team in the development of new businesses, including analysis of viability, appropriateness of the concept to the aims of Emmaus and to work with the team to establish, manage and monitor the successful launch of new businesses.
- Creating and developing new partnerships within the area and sector to promote the success and reach of Emmaus St Albans.
- Where necessary, project management of any of the above activities, developing delivery plans, budgets, assignment of responsibilities and overall ensuring the successful delivery, introduction and management of these activities.
Optimisation of Existing Sites/Premises and Development of New Sites
- Assist the CEO and Board to research and develop the optimisation of the existing Emmaus sites to maximise effective use of space, efficiencies and partnerships as well as site footfall and income.
- Assist the CEO and Board to research and develop potential new premises or communities to maximise retail, accommodation, social enterprise and profit
- Identify partnerships, funding, planning and legal requirements to establish a project plan and report for approval.
- In liaison with the CEO, Emmaus team and Board, develop an action plan for approval for the optimisation of the site over the next two to five years.
- Where appropriate, Project Manage any new initiatives, developments or partnerships (site based and external) to ensure successful implementation and maximise ROI.
- Supporting the Retail Manager and reporting to the CEO and Board, maintain under review all retail operations and develop and deliver strategies for optimising income and use of staff resources for all retail functions (physical and on-line) and companion support requirements.
- In-conjunction with the Retail Manager undertake an assessment of any potential new retail sites, secure necessary approvals and oversee the delivery of the agreed action plan.
- Ensure that Emmaus St Albans’ retail operations are always attractive in relation to other developments in the market place.
- Analyse and report on progress and trends in the retail areas.
- Work alongside the CEO to identify and create the business case for new business opportunities and revenue streams
- In conjunction with the Retail Manager, to develop and implement marketing plans including leaflet drops, social media marketing and events in the local area to increase donations and sales
- In consultation with the CEO to develop, help to monitor and report on performance targets (income, profit, social etc.) and ensure the successful development of service or retail improvements and new business ventures.
- Help to ensure all areas of business and employment complement the mission of Emmaus and wherever possible align with preparation of Companions for further development into moving into employment and sustainable careers.
- Identify and foster new partnership opportunities to support the above duties and to support other members of the leadership team to develop non-residential opportunities.
- Support the CEO with the marketing and PR of the business enterprises.
- Develop and foster a team environment, inclusive of staff and companions, based on respect and mutual support to achieve the team goals; lead and teach teamwork by example.
- Ensure operations comply with the law and all projects are administered safely and effectively at all times.
- Support and promote learning across the Emmaus UK federation of communities to ensure sharing of ideas, information and - where appropriate - resources.
- The Emmaus St Albans leadership team are expected to take a flexible approach to their role and be able utilise their abilities for the overall benefit of the Charity.
- Prepare reports and attend meetings and committees as required.
- Perform any other tasks or duties deemed necessary by the CEO as appropriate.
Emmaus St Albans currently runs its business operations six days a week, Monday to Saturday with some retail outlets open on a Sunday. Days and hours of work will be agreed with the line manager as is appropriate with your role and responsibilities. A degree of flexibility is essential.
Emmaus works with vulnerable people. Staff and Volunteers must observe the proper demarcation and professional boundaries while performing their role. All roles within Emmaus St Albans are subject to enhanced DBS checks.
It is anticipated that this role will contribute significantly to the commercial development of Emmaus St Albans. There are a number of aspects currently being evaluated and the role is likely to grow in relation to a) the number of retail outlets, b) the supply opportunities, and c) the number of partners with whom we are working.
The post holder must always act in a way which will maintain the good reputation of Emmaus St Albans, upholding the policies and procedures of Emmaus. The post holder will strive to preserve good working relationships with Staff, Volunteers, Companions and the Trustees, keeping the appropriate key personnel well informed of significant matters relating to the Community.
The post holder must develop and maintain a positive and involved relationship with the Emmaus movement at local, regional, national and international levels.
We expect you to carry out your job responsibilities in an environmentally aware manner. Our aim is to ensure all resources are utilised effectively and efficiently. You will be expected to apply sound ‘value for money’ principles in undertaking purchasing or supply of goods and services.
In Emmaus, Volunteers are an important resource and make a vital contribution to Emmaus’s aim to take action to help disadvantaged people. You will be expected to encourage, develop and support Volunteer involvement in our work.